Honestly out of the three Samantha pieces, this one was my favorite. Partly because it was the most fun I'd had with textures up to this point, but also because it had the most digital intervention I guess? Adding or manipulating shadows has become super important in more current work.
This is the second of that series. One of my illustrations crushes Victo Ngai came in to our ink class to participate in the critique. She seemed to like my noir fish people enough, but was distracted by the previous crop of this image...
...In which the ceiling fan seemed to be... the source of drama. I guess it makes sense that that would happen with characters that can only stare upward, mouths agape. I did my best.
I took our friend from my previous post and continued using her for the next few pieces. This one, part of a series of three, was an assignment using two characters and three scenes... Which ended up being a super fun way to play around and find variety in repositioning existing elements.
As part of an ink class assignment, I did an ink wash piece with the skeleton of a magical creature. This little lady here is the first thing I ever did in dye based ink, which is by far my favorite media now. Her name is Samantha, and she has an entire backstory that... I think I won't go into right now. But maybe one day...
With a new website comes a new blog... Here for the first few posts, a little look back at art school and a little later, the things I've done in my first year out. For those of you who have traveled back this far, thank you- it's been quite a journey!